Monday, June 7, 2010

Our Short Story . . .

Today is our anniversary – forty-two years!

Alvin tells “our story” so much better than I do. I believe he is a romantic at heart that is why. But, I will give my version at this time and some day he will give his.

We met in the 3rd grade at Cleveland Elementary School. He remembers me but I don’t remember him. Actually, I don’t remember him until high school even though all those grade school years we were students together.

In high school we started dating when we were juniors. It was an off and on romance. He liked me and I didn’t like him. When I decided he wasn’t such a bad guy he didn’t like me so much. Alvin was a short skinny guy that had a big toothy smile with lots of energy as I recall. But, he just wasn’t the guy for me at the time. I wanted the student body president who was at least 6 foot tall and more in the public eye. He wanted the blond cutsy airhead with the bubbly personality. Finally in our senior year we got together and pretty much stayed together.

We graduated. He went off the BYU and I to ASU. We both dated a few others which was good! I visited him once in Provo and he surprised me a couple of time by showing up at my dorm room in Tempe. We decided we liked being together. So, he enrolled at ASU the second year.

The third year he went on a mission to Brazil for nearly 2 ½ years. It was hard having him gone and he says it was equally hard for him as well. I continued on with school and did not date the first year he was gone. I started working for a bank and enrolled in banking classes. There I met a guy who worked for another bank and was a member of a long time Mesa family who were friends with my parents. We dated for months and then he had to leave for national guard training for several months so I was writing two guys letters at this point. He returned and the romance continued for a while but finally ended. I decided I wanted to be available when Alvin returned home. After all, he was the guy I wanted. We were married 6 months after his return from Brazil.

(and, an added note posted 7 PM Monday night - last year I forgot the anniversary - this year he has no clue of what day it is)

No comments: