Friday, October 26, 2012

Do I talk funny?

When I was in the 8th grade I had a science teacher, Bud Wood, that owned a cabin next to Lake Como in Hamilton, Montana. Every summer he and his family would take students for a four week stay to this beautiful place. I guess it might of been a little bit educational but that part I don't really remember. It was a cabin sitting right next to the lake and we would swim and water ski. We traveled to various places that were nearby that would be of interest. I do remember going to Glacier National Park and crossed over to Canada to this beautiful little town.

We would drive into town on occasion and sit at the drugstore soda fountain and order ice cream. We met the kids from town and some I remember even came to the lake. It was a very fun thing to do. The month I went I went with Yvonne Jones, Betty Pickering, and Judy Crawford. All this fun cost $1,000.00. I think that was probably a lot of money back in the late 50's. I am not really sure. The cabin was rustic but very modern too. We had a tolit and running water but had to take a bath in the kitchen in a round tub filled with hot water from a bucket. (that wasn't so good I remember) We had a piano to play but had to pump the pedals to make the sound. The reason I bring this up is it reminded me of what was said by some Montana kids when we were all together one day. One of us asked if we Arizona girls were different to them. They all said one of us talked funny and pointed their fingers at me. So, that was the start of my being aware that I "talked diferent than the rest."

My family came from Texas in 1917 and they were true born and bred Texans. A few Hamilton brothers settled in Chandler, Arizona in 1917 . My grandfather returned from WWI and went to Texas and married his sweetheart and moved to Arizona. They returned to Texas in 1921 so my dad could be born on Texas soil. So, I am blamming my mannerism of speach on being a Texan too I guess. I have always known I had this issue with my words because throughout the years it has come up many times. I just got to the point where I avoided the words that I knew I said  incorrectly like kleenex, wash, and mirror.

The other day I was helping Tatum with her homework and I said the letter "w". That just started it all and Chandler, Cooper and Tatum had the best time telling me how funny I talk. I can take it though - I am proud to have a little bit of Texas in me! But, to be told by a five year old is not so good!

No comments: